Miriam Cahn watercolors of jazz performances
Available digital items: https://digital.archives.newschool.edu/index.php/Detail/collections/JA000101
A collection of forty-eight watercolors on forty-four leaves of paper by artist Miriam Cahn depicting jazz performances she attended at the New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music and elsewhere in New York City between 1995 and 2002.
- 1995 - 2002
- Cahn, Miriam (Artist, Person)
48 illustration(s) (5 folders)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
Collection consists of watercolors depicting jazz performances sponsored by the New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music (as of 2017, the School of Jazz at The New School) or performances in New York City featuring jazz musicians associated with the program, such as students, faculty, visiting instructors and alumni. Musicians depicted include Arthur Baron, Chico Hamilton, Milt Hinton, Satoshi Inoue, Carlos McKinney, Kirk Nurock, Ted Rosenthal, and Bobby Sanabria. Drawings executed in pencil and watercolor paints, many autographed by the performers. All are signed by the artist, Miriam Cahn, and dated. Many are also autographed by the depicted musicians.
An Excel spreadsheet accompanying the donation provides further detail about and titles of each drawing. The drawings are numbered with a corresponding key in the spreadsheet, although six drawings listed in the spreadsheet were not included with the donation. The spreadsheet can be provided to researchers upon request.
Collection is open for research use. Researchers must sign a waiver agreeing not to photograph or copy information from the verso (back) of the watercolors. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for appointment.
The versos (back) of the watercolors may not be reproduced under any conditions as they may contain private contact information for the performers. To publish images of material from this collection, permission must be obtained in writing from the New School Archives and Special Collections. Please contact: email@example.com.
Miriam Cahn is a neighbor and frequent visitor to the New School's Greenwich Village campus.
The creator of the drawings in this collection is not the Swiss painter of the same name.
Organization and Arrangement
Arranged chronologically by the date inscribed on the drawings.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Miriam Cahn to the New School Archives, 2016.
- Illustration. (Subject) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrators (Occupation) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jazz (Subject) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jazz musicians (Subject) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music -- Pictorial works
- Watercolors (paintings) (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Miriam Cahn watercolors of jazz performances
- New School Archives and Special Collections Staff
- May 19, 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description