New School Bulletin collection
Available digital items: https://digital.archives.newschool.edu/index.php/Detail/collections/NS030102.
The New School's Publicity Office began issuing the New School Bulletin in 1927. The Bulletins contain announcements about lectures, exhibitions, performances and other campus events, information about selected courses, school news, and brief editorial features by New School presidents and others. The Bulletin was issued inconsistently beginning in 1927, weekly from 1943 to 1961, and with decreasing frequency before ceasing publication in 1971.
- 1927 - 1971
- New School for Social Research (New York, N.Y. : 1919-1997) (Publisher, Organization)
2.6 Cubic Feet (2 boxes, 1 folder)
Scope and Content of Collection
The New School Bulletin for much of its run consisted of brochures of a textual nature issued on a weekly basis. Apart from switching between two-fold and three-fold, the Bulletin largely retained the same format from its introduction in 1927 until 1961, when color and photographs were introduced as design elements. Other changes at this time consisted of an increase in the number of pages, lengthier articles, and entire issues that highlighted a particular center or program. No longer consisting of one leaf, the Bulletin grew into multi-page, staple-bound newsletters, which were issued less frequently than the formerly weekly Bulletin. In autumn of 1969, the Bulletin received another make-over. The format now resembling a literary magazine or the New York Times Magazine. During this period the publication was renamed, New School Bulletin: A Newsletter of Ideas. It appears to have ceased publication after 1971.
This record group consists only of Bulletins that are not considered course catalogs, or those that do not attempt to comprehensively cover course descriptions of a specific division of The New School.
Language of Materials
All publications are in English.
For Bulletins available in digital form, researchers are required to consult the digitized versions, which are publicly accessible online. Researchers wishing to consult the originals should write to email@example.com, stating the reason for the request.
To publish images of material from this collection, permission must be obtained in writing from the New School Archives and Special Collections. Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The New School for Social Research Publicity Office began issuing the New School Bulletin in 1927. The Bulletins--often referred to by staff as the "Weekly Bulletin"--announced conferences and symposia, lectures, exhibitions, film screenings, and performances, as well as highlights and updates about academic courses, announcements about faculty publications and appointments, and other school news. The Bulletin also often featured brief editorial essays signed by New School Presidents Alvin S. Johnson, Bryn J. Hovde, and Hans Simons, with occasional contributions by faculty and trustees. The Bulletins were issued inconsistently between 1927 and 1942, weekly from 1943 to 1961, and thereafter with decreasing frequency, before ceasing publication in 1971.
Organization and Arrangement
Arranged in chronological order.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The staff of the New School Archives and Special Collections assembled this collection from multiple sources, including disbound scrapbooks, internal transfers from university offices, and collections of unknown provenance.
- Guide to the New School Bulletin collection
- Agnes Szanyi and Heather Anderson
- April 28, 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- May 23, 2017: New School Archives staff revised Scope and Content and Historical Notes.