Elizabeth Hoopes interior design watercolors
Available digital items: https://digital.archives.newschool.edu/index.php/Detail/collections/KA009301.
Elizabeth Geary Hoopes Krusen (1908-2006) was a student and instructor at the New York School of Fine and Applied Art (later, Parsons School of Design). She specialized in watercolor interior design renderings. The collection consists of four renderings of residential interiors by Hoopes, two of which were commissioned by McMillen, Inc.
- 1934, 1939
- Hoopes, Elizabeth Geary (Elizabeth Geary Hoopes-Krusen) (Artist, Person)
- McMillen Inc (Organization)
0.1 Cubic Feet (4 illustrations)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
Three of the watercolors in this collection were executed in 1934; the fourth is dated 1939. Two of the renderings, the 1939 rendering and one of the 1934 renderings, indicate that McMillen, Inc. commissioned them from Hoopes. All four depict residential interiors and are signed "Elizabeth Hoopes."
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research use. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for appointment.
To publish images of material from this collection, permission must be obtained in writing from the New School Archives. Please contact: email@example.com.
Elizabeth Geary Hoopes Krusen was born October 20, 1908 in Sewickly, Pennsylvania to Edward Hoopes and Elizabeth Miller Geary. She studied at the New York School of Fine and Applied Art (later, Parsons The New School for Design) in New York and France between 1927 and 1930. She later taught for four years in the school's Paris Ateliers. Hoopes was nationally known for her "room portraits," watercolor paintings with an impressionist-inflected style. Eleanor Brown, founder of McMillen, Inc., one of New York's most celebrated interior decoration firms, commissioned interior renderings from Hoopes beginning in the early 1930s, creating a demand for the young artist's work. Elizabeth Hoopes Krusen died November 22, 2006.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from the Interior Design Department, School of Constructed Environments, Parsons The New School for Design to the New School Archives, 2009.
- Interior decoration -- United States -- 20th century -- Pictorial works (Subject) (Places) (Temporal) (Type of Material) Subject Source: Local sources
- Interior decoration in art (Subject) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Interior decoration rendering (Subject) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Renderings (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Elizabeth Hoopes interior design watercolors
- New School Archives and Special Collections Staff
- September 14, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note