Lesley Cadman records
Available digital items: https://digital.archives.newschool.edu/index.php/Detail/collections/PC010601
Scope and Content of Collection
The Lesley Cadman records were created or received by Lesley Cadman during her term as vice dean of Parsons School of Design. Some records pre-date Cadman's arrival at Parsons.
- 1976 - 2007
- Majority of material found within 1982 - 2001
- Cadman, Lesley A. (Person)
- Parsons School of Design. Office of the Dean (Organization)
- Parsons the New School for Design (Organization)
4.3 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Collection is open for research use. Files containing student records are restricted for 120 years after person's known or estimated birth (or group of persons, like a class). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for appointment.
To publish images of material from this collection, permission must be obtained in writing from the New School Archives. Please contact: email@example.com.
Lesley Cadman was employed as a senior administrator at Parsons School of Design from 1981 until 2007. Dean H. Randolph Swearer appointed Cadman vice dean of Parsons School of Design in 1998. In addition to her role as vice dean, she also acted as chief operating officer and director of Parsons Paris. Her years of service span the terms of five Parsons' deans: David C. Levy (1970-1989), Charles S. Olton (1989-1997), H. Randolph Swearer (1998-2003), Paul Goldberger (2004-2006), and Tim Marshall (2006-2009).
Prior to joining Parsons, Cadman held the position of director of the Lake Placid School of Art in Lake Placid, New York. She graduated from Middlebury College. Following Cadman's years of service at Parsons, she became director of Sotheby's Institute of Art in New York City.
Organization and Arrangement
Organized in one series. Files are arranged alphabetically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Records received in 2006 in two documented accessions, the first directly from Lesley Cadman, covering the period 1987-2001, and the second from the Parsons School of Design Office of Alumni Relations, covering the period 1976-1989. A third accession of records dating from 2001-2007 may have been transferred to the archives at a later date--It is presently unknown when this occurred.
These records were formerly included as part of a larger record group of Parsons School of Design deans' and presidents' office records. In 2015, New School Archives staff separated the larger group into discrete groups named for individual administrators.
- Administrative records (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Art -- Study and teaching (Subject) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Art schools -- New York (State) -- New York (Subject) (Places) Subject Source: Local sources
- College administrators -- United States. (Subject) (Places) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Educational fund raising (Subject) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memorandums (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- National Association of Schools of Art and Design (U.S.)
- Reports (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Universities and colleges -- Accreditation -- United States (Subject) (Places) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Curricula (Subject) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Departments (Subject) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- United States -- Administration (Subject) (Places) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Lesley Cadman records
- New School Archives and Special Collections Staff
- April 5, 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 3, 2018: Revised to indicate restricted documents in a file.