Margaret Lange student notebook
Available digital items: https://digital.archives.newschool.edu/index.php/Detail/collections/KA0050.
Margaret Louise Lange's notebook, produced while a student of Costume Design and Illustration at Parsons School of Design, 1938-1939, includes lecture notes, sketches, color studies and fashion clippings.
- 1938 - 1939
- Lange, Margaret (Person)
0.5 Cubic Feet (2 binders)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents of Collection
Consists of a student notebook divided into the following sections: First Year Problems, Painting -- Miss Basky, Research, Perspective and Layout, Perspective in Drawing Clothes and the Figure, Color, Cut Dress Design and Rules of Design, Victorian and Edwardian Influence in Fashion. The section titled "Perspective and Layout" consists primarily of exercises in understanding Dynamic Symmetry, a system of composition devised by Jay Hambidge and taught at the school for many years.
Notebook pages consist of handwritten notes and reports; drawings executed in pencil, tempera, and watercolors; and clippings of women's apparel. Many of the pages also feature an unidentified instructor's comments.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research use. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for appointment.
To publish images of material from this collection, permission must be obtained in writing from the New School Archives. Please contact: email@example.com.
Margaret Louise Lange Nickerson attended the New York School of Fine and Applied Art beginning in 1938. She later married and resided in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania.
Margaret Lange gave the notebook to the donor, a neighbor, in the 1970s.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Carolyn R. Guss, Lange's neighbor, 2007.
- Art -- Study and teaching (Subject) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Costume design -- Study and teaching -- New York (State) -- New York (Subject) (Places) Subject Source: Local sources
- Fashion design -- Study and teaching -- New York (State) -- New York (Subject) (Places) Subject Source: Local sources
- Lecture notes (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Parsons School of Design
- Student projects (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Margaret Lange student notebook
- New School Archives and Special Collections Staff
- August 11, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description