Manuals (instructional materials)
Subject Source: Art & Architecture ThesaurusScope Note: Books or treatises, often compendious, containing rules or instructions needed to perform tasks, operations, processes, occupations, arts, or studies, and intended to be used as reference while the task or study is performed.
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
Summary Clara Woolie Mayer (1895-1988) held a long affiliation with the New School, first as a student, then in a fund raising capacity and as a trustee, followed by a succession of administrative roles, including dean of the School of Philosophy and Liberal Arts (1943-1961) and vice president of the New School for Social Research (1950-1961). Dating largely from 1950 to the early 1960s--during Mayer's term as vice president and dean--the collection consists primarily of subject files pertaining to...
Dates: 1879 - 1976
Abstract Harry B. Baker (1868-1941) was an illustrator who taught at the New York and Paris branches of the New York School of Fine and Applied Art (which became Parsons School of Design) in the early 20th century. Before moving to New York, Baker traveled around the American West. He illustrated bar fights, cowboys, Native Americans, and street scenes. The collection includes photographs of Baker and his students, a letter from Frank Alvah Parsons, identity cards and papers, and illustrations by Baker,...
Dates: 1891 - 1946
Summary Mary Largent Brandt was an interior decorator, author, lecturer, and merchandising expert. In the 1940s, she developed a training course for retail sales staff to promote more effective merchandising of home furnishings. Included in this collection are Home Furnishings Training Course: Handbook of Home Furnishings (1946) and a binder entitled, Home Furnishings Training Course: Summary of Visual Chart Materials for Home Study and...
Dates: circa 1946 - 1953
Scope and Content of Collection These files were kept by Maurice Edwards in his role as assistant to Klara Roman and as posthumous editor, with Rose Wolfson, of Roman's Encyclopedia of the Written Word. The collection includes one file of publicity and materials documenting other ventures of Edwards, in particular his involvement with the Cubiculo Arts Center.
Dates: 1949 - 1973
Summary Collection includes office records from Mills College of Education from the years 1956 to 1972. The institution was a four-year college awarding Bachelors of Education degrees, formerly located at 66 Fifth Avenue in New York City. The college merged with The New School in 1972, and closed in 1975. Materials include correspondence, event and promotional materials, student statistics, memoranda, policies, and minutes.
Dates: 1955 - 1971; Majority of material found within 1960 - 1969
Summary This collection contains student, faculty, and staff handbooks from The New School and various divisions and departments within the university. The contents of these guides cover student life, degree requirements, information about living in New York City, among other topics. Faculty handbooks offer teaching guidelines and regulations, while materials created for international students provide information on adapting to life in the United States.
Dates: 1983 - 2018
Abstract The New School Office of the University Librarian records contain reports, administrative documents, correspondence, project files, and memos. The records pertain to the oversight of The New School's libraries, which have gone through various name changes and iterations throughout the university's history. Separate record groups document individual New School libraries: the Raymond E. Fogelman Library records (NS.08.01.01) and the Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library records (PC.08.01.01).
Summary Contains handbooks and guides issued by the administration of Parsons School of Design and The New School to familiarize Parsons faculty, students, and students' families with school regulations, policies, and procedures. Also includes materials designed to acquaint students with aspects of living and studying in New York City.
Dates: 1968 - 2007, undated
Summary The Schools of Public Engagement was formed in 2011 with the reorganization of the New School for General Studies. As of 2016, the division was comprised of five schools: the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students (BPATS); the School of Languages; the School of Media Studies; the Milano School of International Affairs, Management, and Urban Policy; and the Creative Writing Program. This collection also contains the records of the World Policy Institute from the period in which it...
Dates: circa 1976-2018