Albert Schiller type pictures
Available digital items: https://digital.archives.newschool.edu/index.php/Detail/collections/KA0060.
Typographer Albert Schiller (1898-1970) created artworks using pre-cast metal type elements. The collection is comprised of 35 type pictures and printing samples featured in a 1976 exhibition at Parsons School of Design.
- 1927 - 1964
- Schiller, Albert, approximately 1899-1970 (Typographer, Person)
3.1 Cubic Feet (2 oversize boxes)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents of Collection
The collection represents a sample of typographer Albert Schiller's "type pictures" and graphic design samples produced by Advertising Agencies' Service Company, Inc. Included are 16 type pictures, two imaginary newspapers, a poster for a 1948 exhibition at Long Island University, a clipping from the New York Post graphically depicting how Schiller created the type pictures, and sample bookmarks, business cards, and greeting cards.
These items were featured in a posthumous 1976 exhibition held in the library of Parsons School of Design. All items in the collection are glued to mats with some mats containing multiple items.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research use. Please contact email@example.com for appointment.
To publish images of material from this collection, permission must be obtained in writing from the New School Archives. Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organization and Arrangement
Matboards are arranged in chronological order by the items adhered to them. When more than one item appears on a board, the earliest date is used.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Documentation indicates that materials were donated to Parsons School of Design in 1976 prior to the establishment of an archives unit at the university and in 2005.
- Advertising Agencies' Service Company
- Advertising layout and typography (Subject) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bookmarks (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Christmas cards (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Exhibition records (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Graphic design (Typography) (Subject) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newsletters (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Printing -- Specimens (Subject) (Type of Material) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Samples (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Albert Schiller type pictures
- New School Archives and Special Collections Staff
- January 13, 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- November 1, 2017: New School Archives Staff updated extent and box and folder numbers in collection inventory to reflect re-housing actions.