John Russo graphic design work
Available digital items: https://digital.archives.newschool.edu/index.php/Detail/collections/KA0070.
John Russo (1920-2012) graduated from Parsons School of Design in 1942 and taught at the school from 1946 to 1985. The collection includes printed examples of Russo's whimsical graphics, including fliers, invitations, and posters.
- 1955 - 1983
- Russo, John J. (Person)
0.1 Cubic Feet (3 folders)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents of Collection
The collection includes invitations, postcards, posters, and other printed materials designed by Parsons faculty member John Russo. Many of the materials advertise events such as dances and Mardi Gras balls sponsored by the administration of Parsons School of Design, including the Alumni Association. The collection also includes posters featuring graduating classes of graphic design students fancifully rendered as birds and flowers, as well as holiday-themed posters with student names incorporated into the design.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research use. Please contact email@example.com for appointment.
To publish images of material from this collection, permission must be obtained in writing from the New School Archives. Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
John J. Russo (1920-2012) graduated from Parsons School of Design in 1942 and was a faculty member of the Communication Design Department beginning in 1946 when it was called Advertising Design. When Illustration became a separate department in the early 1950s, he also taught in the Illustration Department. Russo became chair of the Communication Design Department -- then called Graphic Design (it would be named Communication Design in 1972) -- during the 1970-1971 academic year and retired in 1985.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by John Russo, 1999.
- Christmas cards (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Commercial art -- United States (Subject) (Places) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Graphic design. (Subject) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Graphic designers (Occupation) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrators (Occupation) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Invitations (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Parsons School of Design. Alumni Association
- Parsons the New School for Design. Communication Design Department
- Postcards (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Posters (Type of Material) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the John Russo graphic design work
- New School Archives and Special Collection Collections Staff
- September 24, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note